A WAKEFIELD orthodontist is putting women and girls in Sri Lanka on the road to opportunity thanks to the donation of a Tuk Tuk to take them to school.
Dr Catherine McCanny Hendron, of St Michael’s Orthodontic Ltd, Dewsbury Road, donated an Invisalign treatment worth £4,000 to Nottingham based charity, the Rosie May Foundation, which works in South East Asia to improve the life chances for women and girls.
The money has been used to buy a pink Tuk Tuk, which takes the women from their rural communities to schools in cities and to train two female drivers to drive this. We are very proud that our practice logo will be placed on this.
Founded after the untimely death of their daughter, Rosie May in 2003, Mary and Graham Storrie, established the Foundation to help women in Sri Lanka. They are currently aiming to raise the cash for 20 Tuk Tuks.
“The Rosie May Foundation is the main beneficiary of Inspiring Women in Dentistry (set up by two female practice owners, Martina Hodgson and Andrea Ubhi, which works to support women in the profession in the UK through mentoring and career advice,” said Catherine.
“We also want to improve the life chances of women in South East Asia. Many of these women are already vulnerable or have been abused; education and work are their passport to freedom. But if they can’t get there how can they break the circle of poverty?” she asked herself.
“Donating the cost of a treatment has bought a Tuk Tuk which will help woman and children get to school or work safely,” she added.
- St Michael’s Orthodontics – a team of skilled orthodontists led by Catherine McCanny – is based on Dewsbury Road, Wakefield.
- Dr Catherine McCanny has achieved Invisalign Platinum Elite Standard for both the quality of her work and the number of treatments she has performed
- Having graduated from Dental School at Queen’s University, Belfast in 1988, Catherine commenced her specialist training in Orthodontics at Leeds Dental Institute in 1993. She then teamed up with her now-husband, Joe, to build and develop St Michael’s Dental Practice and St Michael’s Orthodontics Ltd, which opened in 1998.
- More recently, Catherine – a member of the British Orthodontic Society – was delighted to win two awards in the 2018 Aesthetic Dentistry Awards.
- In 2015 St Michaels Orthodontics won three awards at the Aesthetic Dentistry Awards including ‘Best Team’.
- For more information about St Michael’s Orthodontics, please go to http://www.stmichaelsorthodontics.co.uk http://invisiblebraces-yorkshire.co.uk
Press release issued by: Carmel Harrison PR, The Plex, Margaret street, Wakefield. For further information, please contact Carmel Harrison on: 01924 632263. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org